Monday, January 28, 2008

Defining the diva...

Yes, I concur with J on the initial thoughts about just what the PhDiva is! Sadly, there seems to be a trend that pushes academics toward their inner diva. So how do we begin to the define the diva?

This will be difficult to do in the space of just a few posts...hence the need for the whole blog :)

What happens in the classroom of the diva?

Perhaps it is because we had the chance to work in the real world prior to pursuing an advanced degree - but I think both J and I tend to go the other route...I NEVER seem to forget what it is like to be in student shoes (flip-flops, clogs, whatever the shoe may be).

But the diva - well, they are often so far removed from who they interact with - it is almost as if they are 'phoning in' a performance in the classroom. If they are spewing their knowledge to the masses below - well then, the diva has taken hold.

What happened to actually teaching....maybe we should step back and look at what the purpose of higher ed is all about?

Just an initial thought - more to come! L

No comments: